Our Perfect Veggie Burger
Crunchy, chewy, with a crispy outer shell, these delicious veggie burgers have all the right elements we love in a veggie burger. Light on the beans, these burgers aren’t mushy in the middle, but have a nice mixture of breadcrumbs, chopped almonds, sunflower seeds, and seasonings to round them out. Best of all, they work great in the oven, frying pan, or even on the BBQ. They can also be made gluten-free by using gluten-free oats, Tamari, and breadcrumbs. Don’t have breadcrumbs? Just process a few slices of bread in the food processor for instant breadcrumbs.
Yield: 8 burgers
· 1/2 cup onion, diced
· 1 large garlic clove, minced
· Flax eggs: 2.5 tbsp ground flax + 1/2 cup warm water, mixed in bowl
· 1 cup oats, processed into flour* (other flours might work)
· 1.5 cups bread crumbs
· 1 cup grated carrots
· 1 cup cooked black beans, rinsed and roughly pureed or mashed
· Heaping 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley (or fresh herb of choice)
· 1/3 cup almonds, chopped (toasted if preferred)
· 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, (toasted if preferred)
· 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
· 1 tbsp Tamari (soy sauce)
· 1.5 tsp chili powder
· 1 tsp. cumin
· 1 tsp. oregano
· Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste (I used about 1/2 tsp kosher salt)
1. Preheat oven to 350F (if baking). In a large skillet, sauté onions and garlic in 1/2 tbsp oil. Mix your flax egg together in a small bowl and set aside for at least 10 min while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
2. Place all ingredients (except spices and salt) into a large mixing bowl and stir very well. Now, add seasonings and salt to taste.
3. With slightly wet hands, shape dough into patties. Pack dough tightly as this will help it stick together. I made 8 medium patties.
4. Cooking methods: You can fry the burgers in a bit of oil on a skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side. If baking in the oven, bake for 25-30 mins (15-17 minutes on each side) at 350F, until golden and crisp. For the BBQ, pre-bake the burgers for about 15 minutes in oven before placing on a pre-heated grill until golden and crisp on each side. Our preferred method of cooking was frying in the skillet!!